Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Resolutions are for the delusional

Instead of coming up with a list of resolutions that have little hope of becoming fully realized, I have instead come up with a list of things I will NOT do in 2010. Not sure this is any more realistic than a comically optimistic, too-long list of shit I can only wildly dream of doing but it is a new decade, after all. Blind hope is one thing I do have in a world of constant disappointment.

Huh, uh….Things that will not get done in 2010:

1. I will not become fluent in Spanish. My only hope of doing that requires a 6 month sabbatical in Oaxaca and I don’t intend to do that until 2014.

2. I will not eat veal. It’s never been a problem before so why not throw in some low hanging fruit.

3. I will not acquire all my nutrients from Pasta Roni and other processed noodle meals.

4. I will not use Facebook as a supplement for real-life conversation. I will also not use Facebook for revenge/bullying/dating/shopping/blackmail/therapy/meaning in life.

5. I will not be proud that I’m now a Sephora Super-Duper VIP member or whatever they call it. Pride in the amount of money I spend at that store should not ever be celebrated (or even admitted to).

6. I will not make fun of Virginia. This is a tough one, but I have a new incentive to think happy thoughts about the state just to the south. There’s cheese and forehead kisses in it for me and so I shall hold my tongue.

7. I will not just think about responding to emails, texts, VM, and other invitations. I will actually respond to them.

8. I will not stay within my 10 block radius. I say this every year, but this year I’m really going to try to go to such exotic locations as the Botanical Gardens, the Smithsonian, and Baltimore. I also will not use all my vacation time going to Nebraska.

9. I will not worry about turning 30. I’ll just turn it and see what happens.

10. I will not give myself a hard time if I end up doing any of these things. Resolving to make changes in life requires a healthy dose of self-patience and forgiveness.

2 comments:

Reid said...

What a fantastic list. I especially love the honesty of #2. I think more of us could say that.

I think my #4 could stop right after "Facebook".

Vinnie said...

What the hell is wrong with Virginia? Come out this way sometime and I'll buy you lunch.

Vinnie