Friday, September 7, 2012

My Dad Gets Around

Today is my Dad's birthday. He's 55 which makes him nearly ancient. I'm shocked how close in age we seem to get every year I get older. Hmmm.... Anyway, my Dad once gave me a very useful piece of advice:

The best way to get from where you are to where you want to be is to not stop moving.

As the owner of a trucking company and one in a long line of successful farmers, he knows a thing or two about getting from here to there. He argued against the popular advice that a "straight line" is the best path. Being an arrogant teenager, I'm sure I argued him right back and like most cerebral arguments with my parents, I learned in hindsight he was correct all along.

The path, quite frankly, is never a straight line. There are bumps, turns, potholes. The whole damn path could be washed away or simply end abruptly without any signage. You yourself could experience a blowout or just run out of gas. If it goes in a straight line too long, assume you are going in the wrong direction and start worrying.

I have used his advice countless times in life, from schoolwork to break ups, from my career to the purchase of my first home.  In fact, I pretty much live by it. I haven't really ever stopped moving and have a string of hometowns and families to show for it.

I'm not quite sure yet if either of us has ever gotten from here to any sort of final there. I'm not sure either of us are even sure where "there" is. But, Dad and I have definitely gotten around and that is pretty awesome.

Thanks for teaching me to keep on truckin', Dad. Many more happy birthdays!

No comments: