Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Solid Ground

Going home to Nebraska was incredible. I hadn't been back for a year which is the longest I've ever been away. For the first time in a long while I was I looking forward to it. When I go home, there is a ritual...sweet corn, breakfast and exploring barns with Grandma, boating, Kelly's Fish Market, boutique shopping (and, somehow, always Walmart) with Mum. It is a great time.

I had some strangely sentimental moments. I sat very quietly looking at the Missouri River go past me on the new boat thinking about how lucky I am to have this and them and it. Maybe it was those swigs out of the Fireball bottle Dad talked me into but I felt so grateful to call Nebraska home. The corn fields looked so beautiful. Just being on the farm calmed me and assured me that the rough time I've had in Austin lately doesn't matter. I have everything I'll ever need just a short trip away.

Not so long ago, someone told me after meeting my family that they wanted to be part of that. "That" meaning the fun, chaos, love, and closeness of my family. 

Further defining the "that" is difficult and entertaining. We have our shit, like any other family, but I've truly never met anyone like us before. We drink and dance and carry on all night. My folks have a beautiful farm and lots of cool stuff. We are unstoppable at Flip Cup and my parents kiss a lot. Sure, "that" is pretty awesome. But the "that" is so much more than one might see from the outside. It is protection, commitment, tradition, and solidarity. It is reliable. It is forever. It is the feeling you get when you lie down on soft green grass in the sun...held up by the most solid thing ever but comfortable, playful, and beautiful. It felt really, really good to be home surrounded by "that."

I was honored when the person said it a while back and I noticed the same sentiment on this trip a few times. Turns out, lots of people want to be part of our pack. When I paid attention to how people react to us, I saw sparkles of envy in more than one eye. That kinda feels good too.

To that end, applications are now being accepted for pack membership. Competition will be fierce but membership has quite a list of perks (sunburn and hangover notwithstanding). Thanks for all the fun you guys!! I'll be back again soon.

♫ Back Where I Come From by Kenny Chesney