Friday, July 6, 2012

Get 'er done

Being from the Midwest, there are a number of phrases used regularly that I interpret correctly but don't really understand. These are usually muttered by old people but because they are so frequently used, they creep into everyone's mental dictionary and even sometimes slip out, when lack of a better description exists. Much like Velveeta, when in doubt, the familiar reigns supreme.

Take "I don't know anything else," a phrase that indicates that the person would like to end the conversation they are having with you. It is used universally in Nebraska, usually at the end of a phone call. Not having anything else to say or simply just having to go, sure. But confessing to being completely cerebrally vacant, that's funny (and actually quite descriptive when you think about it). I once pointed it out to my parents and now we giggle together when we get off the phone since they can't help but continue to use it.

Another is "could've cared less." (pronounced kudha) This one really does befuddle me because it denotes that you could have cared less but you didn't, meaning you did care. My guess is that Midwesterns just got their contractions mixed up or perhaps they just shortened it since couldn't've is tricky to say. Also, it isn't a word.  

My favorite is "being beside one's self." It makes absolutely no sense which is why I like it best. We all know it means to be especially excited or upset. Being fascinated by these sorts of colloquialisms, I like to come up with my own, more literal meanings. For this one, think of yourself standing next to another you. Look over at them. Then say, "Damn! That's what I'm talking about!" (Add a bit of an LL Cool J head nod and a single eyebrow to really "drive it home.")

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A lot of people say "I could care less" when they actually mean "I couldn't care less". I think you're right...somewhere down the line people just got the contractions mixed up.

There's a lot of expressions that people use without thinking what they really mean. I read an article one time that was recapping a baseball game and they referred to "that faithful eighth inning" instead of "fateful". Faithful makes no sense, but like you say, how many expressions do we use, know how and when they're supposed to be used, but really don't make sense?

rach said...

The funniest is that sweet little old lady Nebraskans probably first confused "I could care less" with couldn't and then realized that didn't make sense but instead of saying it right, found another way of saying it even more wrong. Adorable!