Monday, February 16, 2009

Let me count the ways

My sister is getting married this Spring. It is all very exciting because her beau is rather charming and fits in well with the family descended from pirates. Sis asked me for some music recommendations. This was touching since we have very little in common and I had no idea she even knew about my lust for quality tunes. I was shocked she wanted my input on her most important of life events.

She said she wanted romantic, yet interesting…something more than the usual Shania Twain gag-inducers usually played at Nebraska weddings. I devoted myself wholeheartedly to the project, not only to supply this wedding some suitable slow dances, but also to impress my only female sibling (a difficult challenge, indeed).

I’ve been working on it for weeks, arguing with myself about just how cheesy I wanted Wedding Mix 2009 to be, adding and then removing tracks that in one hormonal  level sounded sweet and the next sounded revoltingly insincere. 

Below is a sampling.

Fresh Feeling by Eels
My beau shared this one with me recently and it makes me smile every time I hear it. My personal favorite...








Make You Feel My Love by Adele
Just so beautiful. I can imagine them dancing to this at the wedding (which will result in a Kleenex stock increase...there's your insider tip from someone who knows NOTHING about the stock market.)








Shameless by Garth Brooks
This is a staple at Casa de Pirate and country-lovers will rejoice.








You Turn Me On by Ugly Americans
Darn cute and heaps cheesy. I've loved this one since high school.








Dream by Alice Smith
Simple, honest, passionate...just how love should feel.








And, of course, the usual classics: Method Man and MJB, Sade, Harry Connick, Jr. I need to burn the disk and ship it off to NE soon, but i'm still taking recommendations. I figured after the recent Valentine snog-fest, someone might have a love song to melt the hearts of my soon-to-be-inlaws. Am I missing anything?

1 comment:

Reid said...

Your sidebar reminded me that Louie Prima and Keely Smith's "That Old Black Magic" would be pretty great at a wedding.

My personal pick for Ultimate Wedding Song would be "This Will Be Our Year" by The Zombies. One of the most beautiful and sweet love songs ever.

The most fun wedding I've ever been to was some friends of mine with great taste in music, and they made sure that the DJ started out the night with some '60's soul for the parents (and us, because we love it too), and then moved into the fun dance stuff that we love so much. So if your sister started out the night with some familiar country tunes and then the night slowly morphed into the hip hop and raunch rock that your family of pirates seems to love so much...that would make for one fun wedding.