Tuesday, August 5, 2008

P.S. I love you

This post is for one person in particular. I'll call her My Beautiful Irish Lassie since it is my policy not to name names.

I watched a movie tonight that inspired me to waste valuable hydration and cry a bit...actually, a lot. The movie is P.S. I love You. If you want the Cliff Notes, listen to the soundtrack.

I don't know if it was Harry Connick Jr. or the near full bottle of crianza I drank or PMS or the lousy day I had at work or something else altogether. Whatever it was, i fear i shall not rehydrate again for some time. I will be sure to set my fictional electronic planner to doo doo doooo do me every fifteen seconds tomorrow so i don't die. (only those that watch British comedy will get that joke.)

Basically, the movie reminded me of some of the challenges of the last two years and the memory I have of my now ex-pat friend whisking me off to Ireland to cheer both of us up. Though my demons are far less than those of the main character, I can somehow metaphorically relate, and so, i predict, will my friend. I won't bother going into detail since Ms. Ireland should just see the movie and not question me. She'll get where I'm coming from, i'm sure.

One of my favorite quotes (though not quoted verbatim) is that one must be rich to go insane. Insanity, according to the movie (and by my own personal experience), is not a luxury for the middle class. One must go on, however difficult that may seem. This is a lesson I've learned from my Lass, and a lesson I've been lucky enough to see accomplished by her in real life with effortless grace and courage.

So, please see this movie, my dear. I took a page from your book and let my tears come for once. I think you'll especially like the last scene of the movie beginning with, "Maybe now she'll understand...". It is beautiful, just like what I hope you're seeing right now.

P.S. I miss you and I love you.

If I Ever Leave This World Alive by Flogging Molly






1 comment:

Nic said...

So, you have readers out here, you know!? I found this on the net and it made me think of you, amongst the other 13 things that did that day.

America! Fuck Yeah!
Overheard at the Lincoln Memorial at night:

A family is crossing the street.

A dad to his about 5 year-old son: "You see, in this country we have democracy, but in other countries they have Allah."