Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Took a long time to come

My birthday is in less than a week. I absolutely adore birthdays and look forward to mine every year. I don't think I’ve ever been more excited for one to hurry up and get here...not even when I was four.

Last year was such a special, beautiful memory...Just days before my birthday I had started a new job and was optimistic about where my career was headed. I had also just fallen in love. I was happy, really happy, and hopeful. I thought 28 would be my best year yet.

No dice.

Instead, I spent the first eight months of my new job in a nervous panic, terrified I had made the wrong career move. Also, my heart was broken, brutally, and I spent the next few months under my covers with a painful ache in my chest that will not soon be forgotten.

You cannot even imagine how glad I am to bid farewell to this year.

However, throughout the minor crisis that was age 28, I was constantly reminded by my friends that better days were ahead. They pulled me from the wreckage, hosed me off, and propped me up beside them on a barstool, insistent I look forward, not back. They are my heroes and I love and appreciate them for all they did and all they are.

So, here I am at age 29, happy...for the most part. And hopeful. Again. I have every confidence that this will be our best year yet.

This Will Be Our Year by The Zombies

1 comment:

Reid said...

One of my favorite song posted from one of my favorite people. Happy almost-birthday, Libra!