Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Neverending Story

So, today my ex-boyfriend's parents will be visiting my parents in my hometown of Blair, Nebraska. His parents are on an incredible journey: driving across the country on a bike. No, not a Harley. A real bicycle. Tandem, to be exact. My parent's house is pretty much the half-way point, from what i can tell from the map of the United States.

This is terrifying in a plethora of ways:

For one, his parents are infinitely charming and will surely have a terrific time with my parents. Not only are my ex-potential-in laws kind, generous, and loaded with interesting stories about their worldly travels, they also drink tequila. In summary, they are the kind of rare, mega-fun people you can only hope will pass by your house on a bike.

This may not sound terrifying to you, but i can assure you it is. It is scary because as much as i adore these crazy bikers, they are not my family anymore. Yes, they've grown to become friends i hope i'll always have. But, at the end of the day, i'm long broken up with their son. So, the terrifying part is that eventually, my parents and i will have to pass them on to the next set of parents. I've already warned my Mom that she cannot keep them.

Secondly, i'm not there to chaperon this visit. In fact, i've never been able to see my parents and his parents interact. They've only ever visited each other renegade-style, without my permission or supervision. For all i know, my Mom will be going on about how she wishes me and Ex will get back together and have beautiful blond children together. My Dad may recommend they trade in their bike for a motorcycle, which may hurt their feelings. His parents may reveal stories of me drunk in Mexico. All of these conversation topics i wish desperately i could be there to derail.

All that being said, i'm strangely glad his folks feel comfortable enough visiting my folks. My ex and i didn't have a harmonious relationship and our breakup was equally disheartening, involving a rather divorce-like halving of possessions and several Eat, Pray, Love-style trips overseas (there was no custody battle over Miss Olive, though we still call the ex Olive's Dad). I'm sure his parents have heard complaints about me that would make most people feel strongly opposed to maintaining friendship, much like the stories my own parents have heard about him. I know that my parents have my back and his parents have his, but it is refreshing to know that however bad things can get between two people, their loved ones need not share in the bad energy and hurt feelings.

If there is good that can come from a love that has ended, i'd like to think it can be to bring other people together. However unusual and nerve wracking i perceive this visit, i have to hope that they all have a lovely time, as i know they will. Anyway, my Mom is making her amazing bolognese sauce and she already stocked up on Cuervo. It can't possibly go too far astray. (And, those surveillance cameras i installed over Independence Day should give me some peace of mind.*wink*)

Check out the Tour de Homerpearl at http://homerpearl.blogspot.com/.

No comments: